541 Nijo-jo-cho, Horikawa-nishi-iru, Nijo-jo-dori, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City
Tel: 075-841-0096 Fax: 075-802-6181
8:45 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (closing time: 5:00 p.m.)
Ninomaru-goten Palace visit reception hours
8:45 a.m. – 4:10 p.m.
Nijo-jo Castle and Ninomaru-goten Palace Closed Days
By closing Nijo-jo Castle and Ninomaru-goten Palace regularly, we make efforts to preserve and manage their valuable cultural assets, including Ninomaru-goten Palace, a national treasure, and wall paintings.
Castle closed days
December 29 – 31
Ninomaru-goten Palace closed days
Every Tuesday in January, July, August, and December every year, January 1 – 3, and December 26 – 28
- * When any of the above-mentioned days fall on a public holiday, Ninomaru-goten Palace will be closed the following day instead.
Nijo-jo Castle/Ninomaru-goten Palace Painting Gallery (Nijo-jo Castle) Adults 1,300 yen 100 yen (800 yen) Adult groups(30 people or more) 1,100 yen (700 yen) Junior High / High School students 400 yen – Primary School students 300 yen –
- * Admission is free for children younger than elementary school age.
- * When adults purchase tickets for Ninomaru-goten Palace or the Nijo-jo Castle Painting Gallery after entering the castle grounds, tickets may be purchased at the General Information Center and the Nijo-jo Castle Painting Gallery. (At the Nijo-jo Castle Painting Gallery, tickets only for the gallery are available.)
Discounts on Castle admission (excluding limited period discounts)
|Subjects of Discounts||Discounts available|
|Subway 1-day Pass*1||Individual Adults Castle admission 800 yen→700 yen|
|Subway, Bus 1-day Pass*1||Individual Adults Castle admission 800 yen→700 yen|
|Kyoto City Campus Culture Partners System*2||Individual Adults Castle admission 800 yen→100 yen(Admission to Ninomaru-goten Palace is free.)|
- *1 Discounts are available only on the day of use.
- *2 Students of universities or junior colleges that are members of the Consortium of Universities of Kyoto can receive the benefits by presenting their student ID cards for entry to the castle grounds.
Advance tickets may be purchased using a smartphone or other means.
Payment methods for tickets and other services
Cash, credit card, electronic money, and QR code settlement are accepted to purchase admission tickets and guide books and using an audio guide.
- Credit cards:
VISA and Mastercard
- Electronic Money:
Traffic system IC cards, such as Suica, WAON, nanaco, and Rakuten Edy
- QR code settlement:
Alipay and Wechat Pay
(QR code settlement is available only when paying at the counter)
- * As for payment methods other than cash when visiting shops in the Rest Area, Waraku-an Teahouse and for using bicycle or car parking lots, please confirm with the following offices or shop.
- Shop in the Rest Area:
- Kyoto City Tourism Association
- Waraku-an Teahouse:
- Maeda Coffee
- Nijo-jo Castle’s bicycle or car parking lots:
- Nijo-jo Castle Parking Office
Requests for photography/video recording
Photography and video recording are prohibited inside Ninomaru-goten Palace.
Please refrain from using unipods and tripods inside the castle.
Facility services available
Please see this page for details of the following services.
- Rest Area
- Waraku-an Teahouse
- Wheelchair lending service
- Luggage check/Coin lockers
- Kyoto Wi-Fi
- Nijo-jo Castle original goods
- * Multipurpose toilets are located at the rest rooms next to the Nishibashi Bridge rest area, in Seiryu-en Garden, and on the east side of Green Garden.
- * Visitors may enjoy a box lunch in the Rest Area. All litter must be taken home.
- * Smoking areas are located on the north side of the Rest Area, the rest area in Seiryu-en Garden, and in the Nishibashi Bridge rest area.